by Stephanie Curtis
Who doesn’t love a good massage? Anyone can appreciate the relaxing power of touch, working out the kinks in sore muscles and releasing tight spots in problem areas like the neck, shoulders, and lower back, where so much tension is stored.
A holistic healing method that originated about 5,000 years ago, massage therapy began in India and was passed down through generations to help soothe the body. Fast forward to 2021, where technology has evolved immensely since 5,000 years ago, we are now able to get cannabis-infused massages. Can you believe that?!
More people are tapping in to the benefits of CBD massage therapy and we will show you why. There are many benefits of massage therapy *sans* CBD oil. Massage therapy is said to stimulate movement of lymphatic fluid, reduce tension in the muscles, and relieve stress to name a few. Now what happens when the good stuff, aka CBD, is added?
When CBD is applied topically, the oil is absorbed through the skin’s pores. CB1 receptors are located in the skin’s sensory nerves, while CB2 receptors are found in mast cells. When activated, the cannabinoids in the topical will bind to receptors in the skin, muscle tissue, and local nerves. We had a quick conversation with a licensed massage therapist about how cannabis has become a powerhouse in her practice and why she swears by it.
As a licensed massage therapist (LMT) based in Southern California, Kelsey Reyes doesn’t offer massages without cannabis topicals anymore. Originally, Kelsey used cannabis to cope with debilitating medical issues, and she’s determined to share her discoveries with others. When clients have been hesitant about using a cannabis topical, Kelsey explains to them that the active ingredients—THC and CBD— diffuse into our skin. Kelsey’s primary focus is sports performance, working with professional athletes.
“Massage is useful across the spectrum, whether it’s simply for stress relief or for deeper issues.” states Kelsey. “After a CBD massage I always say your shoulders come out of your ears and you didn’t even realize they were up there.” Kelsey uses blends of cannabis oils in practice. “Cannabis topicals allow me to get deeper into the tissue without force.” Kelsey also mentions the benefits cannabis topicals have had on her clients who have skin blemishes. “Clients love it, I love it, and it works wonderfully as a moisturizer.”
I’m starting to think I need to book an appointment ASAP!
During pandemic times , the ability to get a massage is definitely a luxury. So if you’re not able to schedule an appointment for a CBD massage just yet, don’t worry. We got you. All you need is a CBD topical and your hands. In need of a topical? Click here to check out our 1:1 topical cream, perfect for all your at home massage needs. Bring on the at home spa vibes, here we go.
At Home CBD Neck Massage Technique
- Light some candles, put your ambiance music on in the background and get in your favorite robe/towel.
- Run a washcloth under hot water, wring out the excess water, and place it around your neck area. This will help loosen up those muscles.
- Begin breathing deeply and slowly, in and out. Many times, deep breathing is enough to ease tension and stress.
- Drop your shoulders. Find your sore spots, this part should be easy.
- Put your choice of topical in your palm and rub it around the back and sides of your neck.
- Place your left hand on the back of your neck and wrap your fingers around the side with your fingers spread out slightly but planted.
- Start gently squeezing your neck. Do this a few times then carefully turn your head left and hold it there. Face front and squeeze your neck again. Now turn your head right and hold it there. Repeat as many times as you want.
- Make sure there’s no sharp pain or numbness, you could be pressing on a nerve. Don’t apply pressure too heavily to where you hurt yourself.
Pro-Tip: If you want to take your self-care a step further, invest in a foam roller, massage balls or a jade roller and combine with a CBD topical.
So if you’re reading this Grandma, a CBD massage will not get you high. It more than likely will bring you to a zen place that so many are striving for currently. We all deserve it. As a matter of fact, it was stated that 53% of adults in the United States reported that their mental health has been negatively impacted due to worry and stress over the coronavirus. Do yourself a favor, whether you do it to yourself or get it done professionally, get that CBD massage. Your body and mind will be thanking you later.