Grilled cheese with tomato soup is a dish I grew up loving, but we just created tomato soup’s hotter younger cousin: the roasted carrot soup! This soup tastes amazing, but is so easy to make, and only requires a few ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Packed with fresh goodness like carrots, tomatoes, and a whole head of garlic, pair your roasted carrot soup with a classic grilled cheese for a major upgrade.
To blend up your soup, you have the option of using an immersion blender or a regular blender. I used an immersion blender, but it might be less messy to do in a full blender. As creamy as you can get it is the right texture for this soup! Add your Care by Design 2:1 CBD Drops as a garnish on your soup along with some additional coconut cream and fresh thyme, and you have a masterpiece that looks as great as it tastes! And because no creamy soup is good without a grilled cheese partner, that’s exactly what we did here.
We kept our grilled cheese simple with just butter, tomato, and cheddar cheese, but feel free to unlock your creativity and create your own grilled cheese. Oh, and don’t forget to dunk your sammy into your roasted carrot soup – that’s the best part!
Makes 4 servings Approx. 8mg CBD and 4mg THC per serving
For the soup
1 ¾ pound carrots, peeled and chopped
6 oz cherry tomatoes
½ onion, sliced
1 head garlic, cut in half
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
3-4 cups vegetable broth, depending on your thickness preference
¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut cream
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2ml Care by Design 2:1 Full Spectrum CBD Drops
For the grilled cheese
2 slices bread
2 tbsp butter, regular or vegan
½ tomato, sliced
4 slices cheddar cheese, regular or vegan
Oven-safe baking dish
Immersion or regular blender
Large skillet with lid
1. Preheat oven to 450℉. Add carrots, tomatoes, onion, and garlic to an oven-safe baking dish. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and olive oil. Toss until combined.
2. Add fresh thyme to your veggies and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
3. Transfer roasted veggies to a soup pot (if using immersion blender) or blender. Squeeze garlic out of the head and remove thyme sprigs. Add vegetable broth, coconut cream, and blend until smooth. You can add more vegetable broth for a thinner soup if that’s your preference.
4. Butter one side of both pieces of bread. Heat a skillet and place buttered side of bread down. Add tomato slices and cheese. Let cheese melt, cover with lid if necessary.
5. Once cheese is slightly melted, flip bread slices together and cook until cheese is fully melted. Enjoy alongside your roasted carrot soup!
Annie currently lives in Orange County. She creates gluten-free, dairy-free recipes that highlight whole ingredients in their natural beauty. Her recipes have been featured on Huffington Post, Buzzfeed Food, Brit + Co, Foodgawker, Tastespotting, Daily Fit Fix, Paleo Grubs, The Primitive Palate, and more. Over it all, she loves defying the odds and making (and eating) gluten and dairy-free foods that still taste great.
There are many great (and free!) options to help keep you moving even if you can’t play team sports,...
Feeling stressed, sore, or unable to sleep? Try a DIY cannabis bath soak using a trifecta of relaxin...